From our previous articles on what VPS Hosting is, to types of VPS Hosting, or how to install or enable a certain plugin, etc. we’ve covered it all, however, there are two things that we haven’t, that is the architecture and setup. For anything to be built or function properly there needs to be a process or an architecture in place. And it is true even when it comes to your web hosting. The aim of this article is to make you the reader understand how VPS Hosting works and how to setup VPS Hosting on your hosting package.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS (Virtual Private Server) Hosting, is the kind of a server that hosts several websites on a single physical server but gives the user the experience of an isolated server. Here, each individual server gets its own resources like CPU, RAM and OS with users having complete root access. Thus, VPS Hosting is said to be a combination of Shared and Dedicated Hosting.
Working of VPS Hosting
To segregate your physical server into multiple virtual servers, your hosting provider requires a virtualization software, known as a hypervisor. The hypervisor acts as a virtualization layer. It essentially extracts resources on the physical server and lets your customers have access to a virtual replica of the original server. This server is known as a Virtual Machine (VM). Each VM has its own dedicated resources like CPU, RAM, OS and individual applications.
As you can see from the above diagram, in the virtual architecture a single physical server is divided into three separate servers and there is a layer of virtualization between the operating system and the physical server. Also, all these servers are isolated from each other.
The advantage of VPS Hosting is that each user has full root access due to the isolated nature of the servers, which ensures privacy and better security.
Now that we’ve seen how VPS Hosting works let us now move onto understanding how to set up a Virtual Private Server. For our benefit, we will be provisioning VPS on a ResellerClub hosting package. Let’s begin!
Setting up VPS Hosting
- Login to your Reseller Account
Login to our ResellerClub Control Panel, using your Reseller ID and Password. Go to the top right side of the dashboard and click on Buy to purchase orders.
- Place an Order
In order to purchase VPS Hosting you first need to have a domain name linked to it. For your benefit, we would be purchasing both the Domain and VPS Hosting.
- Purchasing Domain Name
- To purchase a domain, go to ‘Select Product’ and select Domain Registration from the drop-down list
- Enter the domain you want and check if it is available. Should you want Privacy Protection you can add it at an added cost
- Purchasing VPS Hosting
- After you’ve purchased your domain name it is time for you to link it to your choice of hosting. Refresh the page and in the same ‘Select Product’ drop-down, select Linux KVM VPS
- Type the domain name you want to link the hosting with, as well as, all the product specification details as well (we will link it with the domain we purchased)
- Next, choose if you want any Add-ons, the control panels viz. cPanel and Plesk and, WHMCS (Billing) Add-on available with VPS Hosting. We have selected cPanel and WHMCS. If you don’t want any Add-On select None
- Accessing your VPS Hosting
- Post purchasing your domain name and VPS Hosting are now automatically added to your control panel
- To access the orders, go to the main dashboard and click on Products → List All Orders → Click on the Order you want to access. We will be choosing VPS Hosting
- Setting up your VPS Hosting
With ResellerClub, your VPS server is provisioned instantly post purchase of the order and you need not set it up manually.
To access your VPS server, click on the ‘Admin Details’ tab and a new window opens. You can now access the Server Management Panel, WHMCS and cPanel to manage your orders.
With this, we come to an end on our series of VPS Hosting. We hope you now know how VPS Hosting works, as well as, how to setup VPS Hosting. With ResellerClub, setting up VPS is very easy. If you have any suggestions, queries, or questions feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you.class = “fb-comments”
data-href = “https://blog.resellerclub.com/how-does-vps-hosting-work-and-how-to-setup-a-vps-server/”
data-numposts = “10”
data-colorscheme = “light”
data-order-by = “social”